Alright, signed up for my Diigo education account. On Monday, I will talk to the Grade 7 teacher to see if he is willing to group and add his students to the education account I created. I am really looking forward to working with the teacher on getting students to share their research and be able to bookmark their links in the cloud. It was a little discouraging this week when a few grade 7 students came in and wanted to research about Mesopotamia. They were use to getting the first 3 Google hits and be satisfied with that. Also, when I showed them a few books that we had on mathematicians, he sarcastically replied, "What is a book?" Sigh, I countered with, "Well, you are basically reading a book on the computer. The information you are reading is just presented in a different format!" Quickly, I showed them a few links I found on Awesome Library, World Book, etc. Hopefully, this week I will be able to set up their Diigo accounts and send them these links and highlight certain sections. In the meantime, I just posted the links on the Follett homepage because it would be easiest for students to locate it for now. I'll keep you posted on how this pans out!
This is a link about the pros and cons about the features in each site.
Diigo:
1. Highlighter, sticker notes, annotations for students to pay extra attention to certain parts of a webpage.
2. Education group - send out links via group and find other group that are researching the same thing.
3. Still need time to explore and play with it.
Delicious:
1. Tags and search bar are great for quickly finding a link
2. Group links in a bundle
2. Have been using it for awhile.
Here is a screen capture of what I am learning so far:
It was a hard week to play with Web 2.0 tools because both my kids and husband were sick. Schools are GERM factories!!!
Twitter: I have an account and have not really tweeted anything. I guess being a teacher control freak I might be apprehensive in posting tweets left and right about nothing useful. Tweeter seems to be filled with tweets about useless knowledge. I guess I am still trying to come up with a profound tweet that will benefit others!
It was a hard week to play with Web 2.0 tools because both my kids and husband were sick. Schools are GERM factories!!!
Twitter: I have an account and have not really tweeted anything. I guess being a teacher control freak I might be apprehensive in posting tweets left and right about nothing useful. Tweeter seems to be filled with tweets about useless knowledge. I guess I am still trying to come up with a profound tweet that will benefit others!
Great post! Your screenr video was very helpful and well done too!
ReplyDeleteI think a different way to look at twitter when first using it, is to not worry about what you can offer back. You are mostly there to learn, gather good links, follow relevant/interesting people, and get a sense of the place. Then, once you have the hang of it, you can start offering things back to the bigger community, like I did today, using hashtags like #bctla and #psaday12 which work like keywords, allowing anyone following the conference to contribute.
At the BC Teacher-Librarians Conference, I 'live-tweeted' the keynote speeches, workshops and conversations I was having throughout the day, enabling people who were not there to see into the professional development a little bit!
https://twitter.com/aaronmueller
It was definitely a fun day overall, and I tweeted a lot!
Aaron
Just wondering how you were able to get the educator account going for Diigo. I applied for one but have not heard back.
ReplyDeletethanks!
BTW, great screencast!