Thursday, 25 October 2012

More on Podcasting...

After podcasting my son's Canadian Idol debut two weeks ago, I wanted to play around with the podcasting on my Ipod touch. I have download audiobooks, podcasts of my pastor's sermons, children's stories, BBC, etc. Besides music, my family and I can now enjoy listening to quality podcasts in the car. Interestingly, I feel I am using my Apple device to more of its fullest capability. 

Richardson recommended the Radio Willow Web from the Willowdale Elementary School. These student podcasts are well-done. These students speak clearly, expressly, and the content is varied. I especially like the "Bad Joke, Good Joke" part of the podcasts. Furthermore, there are several students speaking in the podcast which keeps it moving and entertaining. The tinyurl link for Radio Willow Web is broken so here is the direct link: http://mps.mpsomaha.org/willow/radio/listen.html.
I would love to try this with a class this year and have their podcast posted on a class blog or the library website. Keep you posted on how this goes!

I added a QuickVoice recorder app that was recommended by Richardson from our text. I would not recommend this app because it did not record properly and it was fuzzy. Also, having an older Ipod Touch limited me in downloading better recording apps that requires a higher iOS. Boo hoo! Therefore, I resorted to the voice memo app to record my pathetic evening plans. I downloaded my file, dragged and dropped it into Audacity. In Audacity, I added background music, deleted some 'ums', added fade in and out, and voila! Well, not really, it took awhile to get a mp3 file from Audacity. I needed to download yet another converter linked to Audacity called "lame" and it was truly lame because it did not convert my file to an mp3. I used a "4music WMA to mp3" converter which worked with my son's song but it did not work for my Apple podcast which I already converted to a windows media file. Anyhow, it finally worked old school. I emailed my husband my .wav file and he saved me by using REAL PLAYER to convert it to a mp3 file!

Lastly, I noticed that podcasts with fade in/out music adds more depth and quality to the overall listening experience and makes for a better podcast! Have a listen:








1 comment:

  1. Looks like a very simple and easy tool with decent quality! I'm sorry you had such a long day!!! Hopefully you are getting some rest this weekend.

    ReplyDelete