In my previous post I mentioned that Twitter is one of those Web 2.0 tools that I am learning to embrace. Working in an elementary school, it is hard for me to visualize how to use this tool in the classroom setting. I am beginning to realize that as I look deeper into the world of Twitter that this tool would help me learn, discover, and connect more with others who share similar interests and passions. As suggested, Aaron encouraged me to use the #hashtag to find what interests me. He also mentioned that he # alot during the BCTLA conference.
First, I #bctla and Twitter revealed people who used this hashtag in their post. As a result, I found tidbits of wonderful ideas that others have picked up from the conference (which I was not able to attend). Jeff Yasinchuk shared Tripline for making maps. I instantly fell in love with it because in March we will be surprising our children with a trip to Hawaii. Tripline would be a perfect documentation of our family trip. (Ben K., you should use this for your European expedition!) Upon signing up for Tripline, it linked me to Meograph, a 4D digital storytelling tool. The tool triggered a memory where the Grade 7 and 8 teacher were wondering if there was a tool that students would be able to create maps online and make connections to their Social Studies units. It was time to TWEET! I clicked on the Twitter icon and it instantly created my tweet. Strangely, I felt so proud when Aaron retweeted my tweet! I am sure that feeling will soon pass when I use Twitter more. Richardson reiterates my experience when he wrote, "I really value those folks who are posting links or experiences that impact my own thinking and learning. The more you participate, the more followers you'll get" (Richardson, 88).
In a classroom setting, Twitter could be used to generate discussions among staff members and older students on a certain topic using Tweetdeck or Hootsuite (local Vancouver company). Unfortunately, in my staff there are only 2 other staff members who have a Twitter account. Nevertheless, when staff members discover that many of my professional connections and ideas are attained from Twitter, they will start using it and build on their open learning network.
After watching the video below, I picked up on a few more tools - chirbit and twitpic with "Twitter-esque" features to use in elementary classrooms. Profoundly, using Twitter will be the fastest way for me to build up my Web 2.0 database and teaching ideas. Recently, the grade 7 teacher and I created a math 8 wiki where students will need to screencast their math problem. Later on, we want to invite math experts or other students from our sister school to join in on the wiki. I will definitely tweet and invite others to view the wiki! (You never know what other connections you will make.)

I am so glad you are finding the #hastags useful! They are the "keywords" of twitter and allow you to tap into an existing communities, or to even start your own hashtag for your own school/learning community.
ReplyDeleteYour positive outlook as well as keen attitude to keep using this tool will allow it to keep paying professional dividends long after this class is over. You will always be able to keep in touch with your #477B classmates and teacher!
Good reflection and great connection to your pedagogy, practice, and local school community!